Victim in Smiths Falls fatal fire identified, cause of blaze determined

May 9, 2018 by

SF_Fire_Dept_Logo_CMYK___ContentThe victim in this week’s fatal apartment fire in Smiths Falls has been identified as 53 year-old Doug Buffam.

Investigators with the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office (OFM) say careless smoking is the cause of the fire. They say the man died after falling asleep while smoking in bed.

The victim's apartment went up in flames around 1:30 Monday morning. Firefighters managed to contain the blaze to the third floor of the six-unit building. The Fire Marshall’s office said their investigation found that the victim tried to suppress the fire, couldn’t do so and became trapped. He was pulled out by firefighters, but later died in hospital.

The Fire Marshal’s office says the fire is a tragic reminder of the dangers surrounding careless smoking.

All other residents of the building have been displaced and are receiving aid from the Red Cross and Lanark County Victim Services.

Facebook
TWITTER