No one injured in Smiths Falls fire

May 15, 2018 by

heddy Local SF Fire 03 0514No one was injured after a fire broke out in Smiths Falls on Monday May 14th, at 95 Main Street East.

“The fire started on the deck, as far as we can tell at this stage,” said acting Smiths Falls Fire Chief Randy Normandin.

It’s believed the home houses three residents but no one was home when the fire broke out, although a small dog was inside.

“A dog was rescued by Lt. Andrew Flemming,” said Normandin.

Taz, a Jack Russell dog was later seen befriending people on the street, none the worse for wear, as firefighter finished cleaning up.

“The call came in at 16:05 from a neighbour reporting a fire on the back deck,” said Normandin.

The residents who returned to find their home destroyed were having a hard time wrapping their heads around the tragedy.

“I was picking up my daughter when I heard.  I didn’t believe it at first.  I rushed over here,  I was in shock of course  - hard to believe,” said Dean Edwards, who occupied the top level apartment.

“I still had a computer in there, beds, most of my wardrobe, TV and stand, couch and love seat all my kitchen utensils, washer and dryer and furniture,” said Edwards as he stood clutching a teddy bear for his daughter, with a blanket around his shoulders.

Nobody was allowed into the main section of the building or the upper floor. “It’s too unstable inside, so no one can go in,” said Normandin.

The fire took just under four hours to bring under control, with seven fire trucks from Smiths Falls and Montague in attendance.

Normandin said it was too soon to estimate the exact damage to the building, but the roof is gone and there was considerable smoke damage visible inside through the open door.