Smiths Falls approves Community Grants
Smiths Falls council has passed a motion to disburse the community grants approved in the first and second intake.
Grant recipients are:
- The Smiths Falls & District Arts and Culture Council $4,350;
- Lanark Transportation $8,500;
- Rideau Environmental Action League (REAL) $7,500;
- Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario $20,000;
- Rideau Paddlefest $2,500;
- Smiths Falls Horticultural Society $600;
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Lanark County $20,000;
- Trinity United Church $4,011;
- Municipal Drug Strategy Committee $2,000;
- Lanark County Municipal Drug Strategy $200;
- Rise at the Falls (new name for Healthy Living Festival) $500;
- Smiths Falls Gordon Pipe Band $2,600; and
- Furry Tales Pet Rescue $4,999.
All recipients of grants of more than $5,000 were required to appear as a delegation at council, but this year there was far less discussion around who would receive grants than in previous years.
“We’ve developed a better policy that gives people guidelines on what we’ll actually support and how we go about doing that,” explained Art Manhire, director of Community Services.
Once an organization submits a grant application, the application is reviewed by a group of staff and scored on its merits and how well it fits within the community grant mandate. Once that process is completed, staff make recommendations to council for a final decision.
“That’s streamlined the process significantly,” added Manhire.
Copyright © 2019 CHLK Radio - Lake 88.1 FM. All rights reserved.