Fire at St. Luke CHS in Smiths Falls
Crews were on the scene of a fire at St. Luke Catholic High School on Catherine Street in Smiths Falls after receiving multiple 911 calls.
According to dispatch, the calls were received around 10 o’clock this morning.
A listener who lives close by, told Lake 88 that she heard what sounded like two explosions, followed by smoke.
There were roofers on the building when the fire broke out, they quickly got down, and a spokesperson for the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario says no one was hurt.
Police have said that propane cylinders were the likely cause of the blaze. Other reports say it started at the back of the building before spreading inside.
The Smiths Falls Fire Department responded first, followed by the Smiths Falls Police Service. Montague and BBDNE fire were quick to follow. The Ocean Wave Fire Company and the Perth Fire Department were also called to assist and the Mississippi Mills Fire Department arrived with its aerial truck to assist the efforts.
Lanark County Paramedics and the OPP were also on scene.