Charges laid in connection to Carleton Place home invasion
The Lanark County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) continues their investigation into a home invasion at a residence in Carleton Place that occurred on March 27, 2021 on Townline Road East between Bridge Street and James Street.
An individual has been arrested and charged in connection to the crime. On Tuesday 44 year-old Carleton place resident Joseph Waselnuk was taken into police custody without incident.
Waselnuk is charged with:
– Attempt to commit murder using a prohibited or restricted firearm
– Discharge a firearm into or at a place in a reckless manner
– Break and enter a dwelling house with intent to commit an indictable offence
– Mischief under $5000
– Careless use of a firearm
– Pointing a firearm
– Possession of weapon for a dangerous purpose
– Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
Waselnuk is being held in custody pending a bail hearing scheduled for Thursday.
Officers were initially called to a residence after it was reported that shots had been fired. One person sustained minor injuries not related to the gunshots. The involved firearm has been recovered by police and there was no concern for the safety of the general public.
Investigators are still asking for anyone who may have information relating to this incident to contact the Lanark County OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or if you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers at .1-800-222-8477.