Suspect charged after Wednesday carjacking in Smiths Falls, robbery in Carleton Place
Two local police forces have laid charges in connection to Wednesday’s carjacking in Smiths Falls and robbery in Carleton Place. Both involved high speed pursuits with the suspect.
The Smiths Falls Police Service issued the following release concerning the gunpoint-carjacking:
In the early morning hour of the 14th of July 2021 the Smiths Falls Police were involved in a pursuit after a work van was stolen at gunpoint on Beckwith St N. This set off a multi- jurisdictional dangerous chain of events involving this male accused. This male was identified and later arrested by the Lanark County OPP approximately 12 hours later.
For the investigation that had occurred within the town of Smiths Falls, Smiths Falls Police have charged 28 year old Dylan John Meulmeester of Ottawa with the following:
- Pointing a firearm
- Imitation firearm committing robbery
- Weapons dangerous
- Motor vehicle theft over $5,000
- Flight from police
- Dangerous operation
- Operation while prohibited
- Firearm possession contrary to prohibition order
- Drive while under suspension
- 5 Counts of breaching a release order.
Meulmeester has an extensive criminal record spanning different jurisdictions and was also on outstanding court release orders at the time of this offence. Police confirmed that it was a pellet gun used in the offences. Meulmeester was held in custody for bail and has been remanded for further investigation.
Lanark County OPP released the following concerning the robbery in Carleton Place and ensuing arrest of the suspect:
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has now charged an individual in connection with an armed robbery that occurred in Carleton Place.
Officers from Lanark County OPP responded to the robbery from a business near the intersection of Highway 7 and McNeely Road on Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at approximately 12:40 p.m. One individual was taken into custody a short time later after officers successfully deployed a tire deflation device to stop a stolen vehicle on Highway 7.
Dylan MEULMEESTER, age 28 from Ottawa, has been charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Armed Robbery CC sec. 242(d)
- Dangerous Operation CC sec. 320.13(1)
- Failure to comply with release order CC sec. 145(5)(a) – 12 Counts
- Flight from peace officer CC sec. 320.17
- Imitation Firearm – Use while committing offence CC sec.85(2)(a)
- Operation while impaired CC sec.320.14(1)(a)
- Operation while impaired (over 80) CC sec.320.14(1)(b)
- Operation while prohibited under the Criminal Code CC sec.320.18(1)(a)
- Pointing a firearm CC sec.87
- Possession of firearm contrary to prohibition order CC sec.117.01(1)
- Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose CC sec.88
The accused remains in custody.
The Renfrew County OPP Crime Unit is continuing the investigation into other related incidents that occurred yesterday.
Anyone with information on this investigation is asked to contact the Lanark County OPP at 1-888-310-1122.
The investigation continues.